Wednesday, August 1, 2007

Grill Talk


The only problem with grilling is that it's not exactly efficient. If you use a charcoal grill, like I do, it's really hard to get the right amount of coals hot. Either you set up too many and have this inferno blazing long after your burgers are done, or, as has been happening to me ever since Chris came home with this jumbo size bag of itty-bitty charcoal pieces that burns like matchsticks, you don't use enough and your barely get through a round of chicken.

Lately I've been erring on the side of excess, and grilling up a storm, in preparation for keeping my kitchen dark the following night. Here's the chicken I grilled last night, which was destined to be tonight's dinner.

First I marinated it in:
1/2 cup soy sauce
1 lemon
2 cloves garlic, smashed
1 tsp ginger, grated
1 tablespoon maple syrup

Then I put all the hot coals in one quarter of the grill, and cooked the chicken slowly over the cooler part. The ambient heat cooked the chicken through, and I moved it to the inferno corner when I was ready to brown the chicken. When it was done, I set it aside to cool, then cooked that night's dinner: burgers.

Tomorrow night: the ultimate mothership meal: Chicken Tacos. Come back and find out if my 3 year has finally conquered her disdain for the hard shell taco.

No comments: