Sunday, July 12, 2009

Return of the Grilled Cheese

Okay, so it's been about six weeks since my last post, an all time record. Grad school + the end of the school year + general inertia all conspired to keep from feeling motivated to post.

Plus, more importantly my kids aren't that picky any more!! This is an incredible development. Tonight we had a Middle Eastern kind of grilled chicken with grilled homemade pita and condiments like tzatziki and baba ghanoush. The baba ghanoush wasn't a hit, but they both ate pitas with yogurt-dill-cuke spread all over it, chicken, and salad. It's enough that now I don't care, I don't want to hear about it. Either eat it or don't eat it. Let's move past the drama, yeah?

It helps that it's summer and I'm not a prisoner to the whims of a picky child who will go 8 hours before I see her again and I have this tiny window to get her to eat SOMETHING. This makes me reckless and dismissive. There is no more salami in our house. Okay, there is a piece of bacon here and there. What do you want, I'm human, aren't I? But I've stopped buying salami and yogurt squeezies and nocciotella (organic Nutella). Unbelievably, my daughter has so far failed to starve.

Rather, she's opened her palate. Grilled cheese is now on her radar. "Oh my GOD, these are so good. They're like those, what are those called again, Mom? Those kaysa--- kaysey-- you know?"

"Quesadillas?"

"Yeah! They taste just like those!"

Grilled cheese is something I intentionally gave up many years ago, after temporarily quitting dairy... But they're cheap, they're quick, they're meatless, and I make them with whole wheat bread. And oh my god they're so good. What is better than grilled chedder on whole wheat with tomato?

She's requesting scrambled eggs, too. I deeply, truly believe that nuts are right around the corner. Get them hungry enough, and they'll eat anything, right? That's my strategy, and it's working.

Anyway, hope you're all having a great summer.

Here's a shot of our general summer vibe:
("Chickens? What chickens?")

No comments: