Saturday, April 11, 2009
I'm not religious (after running into a cross-carrying parade the other day, I told my kids with much dubious shoulder-shrugging and head-shaking about the meaning of Good Friday and Easter as told by Christianity), but I love Easter for the fact that it's basically a celebration of spring.
As I've mentioned, I've been working on the eco-Easter basket, with some success. It turns out so many things are spring-like and delicious, that it's a wonder Peeps ever saw a need to be made. Okay, maybe you like Peeps (as my mom does), and if so by all means indulge.
Here's what went into our baskets:
- Spring-like dish cloth to line the basket. This is so cute and right-looking (and practical!), I don't know why cellophone grass dares to exist
- Chocolate Easter bunny
- Ferrero Rocher chocolates (an Easter gift from a neighbor, which I decided to regift into the baskets)
- Jelly Bellies, tucked into plastic eggs which I saved from last year (Does anyone like Jelly Bellies? My husband got these. I feel good about them, they are like the malted eggs from my childhood; no one will actually eat them.)
- Lemon candies
- Blood orange, perhaps the last of the season
- A Pansy, to be replanted tomorrow
If I thought my kids wouldn't scream at the sight of asparagus, I probably would have put some stalks in, for height, you know?
Anyway, happy spring! It's supposed to be beautiful tomorrow.