Friday, March 13, 2009

Cold, Hungry, Need Food

I went to Harlem yesterday on a food tour, and before I can even blog about it, I had to go shopping and start cooking. It was really cold, the food was great, and afterwards I came home, exhausted, to a largely food-less house. This combination has resulted in a cooking version of hoarding.

This is what's happening in my kitchen, even as I blog:

Pasta Puttanesca
I started to make this last night, but realized we didn't have garlic. Or black olives, or capers. I had to shelve the half-cooked onions until today. I don't even know when we are going to eat this, but I wanted to finish it. It is one of those food weeks where I will just feel better knowing we are minutes away from dinner. (Yeah, yeah, my kids don't like pasta with tomato sauce, but we'll cross that bridge when we get there.) 






Red beans, soaking
I had this red bean-turkey soup at Lee Lee's Bakery in Harlem yesterday. They are known for their rugelach, but it came out eventually that they also have red bean soup. It was really salty and smoky with the beans falling apart, and unbelievably delicious. Alas, I couldn't find a smoked turkey neck at the Coop this morning. Or any kind of smoked turkey. I got ground turkey, and plan to add a bit of pancetta.
These are the beginnings. I guess that's more than "a bit" of pancetta. Oh well. I think I can make it work.



Jacob's cattle beans
I had no specific plans for them, but they are NYS-grown, and they looked beautiful, so I bought them. I might cook them with some of that pancetta, and serve them with collard greens and corn bread and macaroni and cheese, and I will feel like I am at Manna's Soul Food Buffet on 125th Street.



Black Beans 
They are soaking in anticipation of our Sunday night rice and beans. No meat on Sundays, right? Well, except for bacon in the morning, and pancetta in everything.





No comments: